St Michael's has set up a 'Treading Lightly' group comprising of staff and students which considers our ethical and environmental impact and encourages us to think about the environmental impact of living and working at St Michael’s.
St Michael’s was awarded Fairtrade College status by the Fairtrade Foundation in June 2014.
Here are some examples of the things we are doing:
- We have introduced food waste recycling.
- All tea and coffee served is Fair Trade and we proactively seek additional suitable Fairtrade food products wherever possible.
- As light bulbs come to the end of their life, they are replaced with low energy ones.
- We actively encourage recycling and minimise general waste wherever possible; there are recycling bins around the college for students and visitors to use.
- We use local produce where possible.
- All printer paper used is 100% recycled.
- Our travel policy promotes alternative travel arrangements (e.g. car sharing, public transport).
If you have other suggestions for ethical and environmental issues, please let us know.